Monday, September 9, 2013

A Moment for Your Monday: Finding Quiet Waters

Welcome to a new year of Two Rivers MOPS! We're super excited to be starting back again. Our first meeting will be tomorrow, September 10. To kick us off, here's a new Moment for your Monday...

Fall is always an exciting time in the life of a family. Maybe you have kids starting school for the first time. Maybe you or a spouse are going back to school yourself. There are new sports, new activities, and new ministries to get involved in. You might be leading those activities, or just participating. Either way, you're probably getting excited - about beginnings, about possibilities, about potential.

But there's a downside to the beginnings, possibilities, and potential. It's called busyness. It's easy to do, isn't it? We take on a lot and we shoot for the stars in all we do. But it's quick to catch up with us. This is where I found myself recently. Super excited, but busy. My mind wouldn't shut off. Night after night, I found myself laying wide awake into the early hours of the morning. These were activities I enjoy, but they were beginning to rob me of my sanity. Sleep was elusive, and we all know what a vicious cycle that is with little ones at home!

Finally, after a couple weeks of restless nights, I hit desperation. Laying in bed, my mind racing, I began to recite Psalm 23 in my head. Slowly. Meditating on it. Marveling as the meaning of each line sank in. And there in my fatigue my Shepherd began to minister to me. I was able to rest in green pastures, and finally sank into sleep there beside the quiet waters. I woke hours later to nurse my son, feeling calm and sensing God's presence more closely than I had in weeks. My activities are good. My ministry is important. But I let busyness crowd out the one One who prepares a table for me in the presence of my enemies.

During this season of new beginnings and exciting events, I encourage you to take some time to rest. Let Him restore your soul. Don't be drowned in your busyness. Take time to dwell in the house of your Lord until your cup overflows.

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies. 
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment