Monday, October 1, 2012

A Moment for Your Monday: Sounds of Family

The following is an excerpt of an article entitled "A Listening Ear" by author Julie Barnhill that originally appeared in the January/February 2011 edition of MOPS MomSense magazine, page 9:

   I know you're going to find this hard to believe, as you only dream of a quiet car ride to anywhere and attempt to finish reading this column in one, two, maybe three or four sittings, but hear me out - I miss hearing those sweet sounds of family. Granted, I thought my head was going to blow up a time or two back in the day, but I wouldn't trade anything now for the memories of then. Nor would I trade the gift of having listened, really listened, to their innumerable questions, conversations, jokes, and "Mommas" during those hectic months and years of raising little ones.
   My initial "slant" for this issue's column was to be more about fundamental listening skills for you as a mom and for those of your children. However, overhearing the voices of my 22-year-old daughter and 20- and 16-year-old sons in our well-worn Yukon set my thoughts on a slightly different course. I want to encourage you to be an active listener over the next several days, weeks and months. 
  • Listen - really listen to those rambling conversations your preschoolers pulls you into. 
  • Grab a Flip video camera or cell phone and record their voices.
  • Document what you hear ("Will my wife have a belly button?" ~Ricky, age 3)
   And at the end of "One of Those Day," play back what you've heard and listen to  the sweet refrain of family.

No comments:

Post a Comment